Stud Wall Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main wall in my bedroom is solid concrete and I want to build a stud wall on top of it. The reason for this is that I want to put a TV and speakers on the wall (and hide all the cabling) and fit a plug socket, and a stud wall would make all of this much easier. I've never built one, and I am quite keen to give it a go. But, I have a couple of questions.

I know it's not ideal, but can the head and sole plates be fixed to a joist running in the same direction as the wall? The joist in the loft directly above where the wall will be does, and I'm assuming below the floorboards too.

Since the wall is basically a wall on top of a wall, would it be worth fixing the head/sole plates and vertical studs to the concrete wall itself, as well as to each other or is that overkill?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You mean a stud wall IN FRONT of the concrete wall ? It is ok to fix it to the concrete wall if it helps to make if more stable for you and your TV weight requirements and yes it can also be fixed along the ceiling joist if it lands below it. Another good idea is to fit Plywood panels behind the plasterboard between the studwork so you have a solid fixing point for any brackets or such like. Just check for cables and pipes above and below any fixing points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back