Question about building a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully I'm posted this in the correct place.

I'm in the process of taking my stud walls down upstairs and replacing them with a better construction and moving the walls slightly.

What I really want to know is should I fix the sole plates of the stud walls the the joists (might have to construct some nogging). Or should I lay the chipboard 22mm flooring then attach the sole plate to that.

Any help much appreicated. Can't seem to find the answer for this anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, let me assume that the walls to be taken down are not supporting walls first? after which the replacing walls can be put directly on top of the floor boards (a normal practice) Any new or moved radiators should have a hatch at the pipe work (either two or one large one) and you'll need to fill in any resulting holes in the floor/ceiling where the old walls were taken down. For bye this the ceiling where the new walls are going will need to have joists or noggins (dwangs in Scotland) to fix the wall headers to. Other than that you're pretty much in the clear, but do take into consideration anything like wiring runs and the like, which unless there is good access underneath will require to be in place first...pinenot :)

Ok thanks. The complete upstairs floor is getting replaced, some radiators will be moved and that isn't a problem.

As for the wiring, I'm having the house redone, so again isn't a problem.

At the moment the current stud walls are attached directly to the floorboards instead of using a sole plate.

Stud walls are supporting as most of the tops aren't even connected very well to do joists above, some are completely loose!

Thanks,

Matt

Hi mate, let me assume that the walls to be taken down are not supporting walls first? after which the replacing walls can be put directly on top of the floor boards (a normal practice) Any new or moved radiators should have a hatch at the pipe work (either two or one large one) and you'll need to fill in any resulting holes in the floor/ceiling where the old walls were taken down. For bye this the ceiling where the new walls are going will need to have joists or noggins (dwangs in Scotland) to fix the wall headers to. Other than that you're pretty much in the clear, but do take into consideration anything like wiring runs and the like, which unless there is good access underneath will require to be in place first...pinenot :)

Yeah wot he said except....

We would not use chipboard. Either ply or pine t&g floor boards.

When we build an extension we always board the floor prior to building the studs. However, when we build an extension there is always access from below like services and extra noggins etc.

Also, latest requirements means we have to double up joists parallel and directly below any stud walls.

Sponsored Links
Common and works, but ply is better, takes your choice and pays your price, my house is old enough to have 4inch boards but my parents house in 22chip and its done the last 25 years without batting an eyelid.

Daniel

Ok thanks. I've also been looking at what screws to use on the chipboard.

Think I'm going to use TurboGold or TurboUltra 5x60mm screws from screwfix.

Joists are 175mmx75mm, and chipboard is 22mm. So the length needs to be 2.5x22mm = 55mm (so I can use 60mm), 5x seems wide enough, and I've heard good things about the turbogold screws.

screws use floor-tite 4.2x55mm also from screwfix.

well worth any extra cost,less human effort required.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back