Building stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was planning on spliting a room in 2 with a stud wall the room has two windows so is perfect. I have a problem I was going to fix head and sole timber along a joist, but the joist run opposite to the wall is it ok to fix head and sole timber to every joist along the run.

Thanks

Carl

Sponsored Links
No problem with the fixing to joists - thats how it is done.

But pay attention to means of escape from one of these rooms.
You don't really want to exit one room via another - room exits should be directly onto the landing or hallway. This is especially important for bedrooms

Hi

Thanks for replys. One half is a office other will be bedroom the bedroom will exit onto landing through existing door the office door will be right next to bedroom door at 90degrees but will not be directly connected to landing you will leave office turn right onto landing will this be ok. With a big step you could step out of office into landing.

Thanks

Carl

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear .... the principle is that you don't want to be trapped in one room if a fire starts in the room next to it, and this room is your only way out.

I suppose if the bedroom was completly alight and the door was closed onto the hallway i could be trapped, could i use a escape ladder from the window or do i have to have a door onto the hallway to meet regs.

is there not enough room to build a small landing area within the 1st bedroom so each have there own door and then theres the door to the main landing,this will reduce the overall size of one of the bedrooms but peace of mind etc.

I could put another wall up so each have separate door but it would reduce the size of the bedroom by just under 2ft making it quite small. Could the window not be means of escape it is first floor.

I could put another wall up so each have separate door but it would reduce the size of the bedroom by just under 2ft making it quite small. Could the window not be means of escape it is first floor.
If you want it to comply it needs its own access to the stairs.

Hmmm, "comply" implies there is a rule. How do en-suites work? The mrs thinks I live in there sometimes :)

Hmmm, "comply" implies there is a rule. How do en-suites work? The mrs thinks I live in there sometimes :)

The rule applies to habitable rooms. Bathrooms and utility rooms are not classed as habitable as far as fir reg's are concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back