Stud wall - ceiling joists don't line up with floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have got quite far down the road of planning my new stud wall in my 1930s terrace. The joists all run from front to back of the house, and my plan was for the stud wall to sit directly on top of one of the ground floor joists along its length.

I just assumed that the ceiling joists would be in line with the floor joists. Now after taking some upstairs floorboards up, I see than the closest ceiling joist to the floor joist I was planning to sit the wall on is about 120mm to the right.

Now I should say at this point that I am a humble DIYer, and desperate not to bite off more than I can chew. I also don't want this project to drag on for weeks and weeks, so don't want to do stuff that is going to take loads of extra time. I am very close to just giving up on the whole thing.

I realise I could take up a load more floorboards and then fit bearers between the joists for the stud wall to sit on so it was below the ceiling joist, but I worry that is going to take way more time than I have.

But, looking at the 120mm distance I have realised that I could attach the head plate of the stud wall slightly offset from centre on the ceiling joist (It is quite thick - 3"). Also that I could attach a second joist next the original one in the floor (with bolts) without taking up any more floorboards - and again attach the sole plate to this new joist slightly offset in the opposite direction, and then the head and sole plates would pretty much be in line with each other.

I just want to solve this as easily and quickly as possible without having to rip up more floorboards (this seems to take me an age). Does this sound reasonable? Would attaching the head and sole plate not dead centre of the joists cause problems?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what - after mulling over it all afternoon, I think I've decided to take up a few floorboards upstairs and add some noggins between the two ceiling joists where I want the wall to be. Then I can sit the wall directly over the floor joist downstairs in my preferred position.

I want to do the absolute minimum, and was thinking of 2 or 3 noggins. So the head plate of the stud wall would only be attached at 2 or 3 points along the 3.1m length of the wall.

I'm thinking that if the other 3 sides of the stud wall are really securely attached to the walls/floor, then the 2 or 3 attachment points along the head plate should just about be ok?? Does this sound reasonable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back