Stud and Roof Joist Spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a small workshop which will consist of a timber frame mounted on 4 courses of blocks.

Here is a pic of the proposed building with dimensions.

pAns2X3.png

I will make up four frames using 100 x 50 0r 75 x 50 timber. Two side frames (2m24cm x 1m46cm) and (1m29cm x 1m46cm) and two front frames 1m47cm x 1m46cm) and 1m29cm x 1m46cm). In the LH front frames there will be a 60 x 90 window. The back wall is a previously constructed block wall, my wall plate supporting the roof joists will sit on top of this. To join the two front frame and to add a header above the door I will also run a wall plate along the top of the front two frames.

Questions:

1. What should the spacings be for the studs (same size timber as frame)
2. Do I need a header above the window?
3. What size timber should I use for the roof joists? Longest pan is 2m24cm.
4. Do I need to insert noggins in between the wall studs and Roof Joists?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Depends on what you are cladding it with, look at it's dimensions and work out the best fit.
2. You'll need something, a 'noggin' would do, I would not bother with a larger 'header' for a 60cm span.
3. Flat I'd do 6x2 (you would probably get away with 4x2 + firings as long as its glued and screwed), pitched 4x2.
4. Yes to both, however if you are using sheet sheathing then it's not so important.

1. The walls were going to be covered with OSB (9mm) / Membrane / Studs / T&G.
2. So just a noggin above the window then.
3. It has to be a flat roof to stay within height restriction of 2.5m
4. So if the walls are to be covered with OSB then noggins not really required?

1. So 8x4 sheet work on 16" or 12" centers however measure your second stud from the outside edge and on the adjacent wall add 9mm so your boards will meet at the edge.
Your walls are not devisable by sheet sizes so expect a lot of waste.
2. yes
3. yes
4. Correct. If you have bits left over stick them in.

Sponsored Links
I was also planning on lining the inside with OSB - 9mm or 11mm?

I have drawn up a sketch of the frame and dependant upon the space I have placed studs at 400mm on the short side and where the window is sitting. and on the long side studs will be at 600mm

With regards to eliminating waste should I move studs to try and accommodate sheets or cut the sheets to ensure that they finish in the middle of a stud.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back