Interior wall removal

13 Jun 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My exterior and interior walls are all Timber framed.

I have didning room and kitchen with an overall dimension of 6.3m x 3.6m with a wall dividing the two rooms.

The ceiling joists run along the length of the overall length of 6.3m over the top of the dividing stud wall. Above this is two bedrooms.

I want to remove this stud wall to use the full area of 6.3m x 3.6 making a kitchen/diner.

A friend says I need to put a steel beam in place of the stud wall.

Yet my Lounge is also 6.3m x 4m without any supporting beam, adjacent to my proposed kitchen/diner across the hallway. This also has two bedrooms above. 4 bedrooms in total. All the attic joists run the same way as the proposed kitchen/diner.

Any suggestions as whether or not I need a steel beam for the kitchen/diner.

Sponsored Links
A beam can support upper floors and walls, but no-one will know about your house, as its a timber frame and loads and supports could be anywhere and related.

Even if you needed a beam, you then need to fathom how it will be supported in the external timber frame

You may need some one suitably experienced to look at it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links