upstairs wall cracked after removing downstairs wall

How can this be rectified please?

• Builder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It was quite common to put block walls direct on to the floorboards of upstairs rooms, my father in law ( clerk of works ) said he'd seen plenty of upstairs brick walls also laid direct on to floor boards. An upstairs wall not in line with a wall underneath it is also common.

If you look at your floorboards in a room upstairs the joists will be at right angles, from this you can usually work out if something is load bearing or not.
I suspect it's just a little movement and nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Brick walls upstairs may not be structural at all. In our 1902, some upstairs walls parallel to joists are built as studs - sole plate and verticals attached to side of ceiling joists with 2 noggins in each vertical section. - like an ordinary stud wall, except then infilled with brick (actually on edge) and plastered. Walls stand on doubled up joists below.

Brick walls upstairs may not be structural at all. In our 1902, some upstairs walls parallel to joists are built as studs - sole plate and verticals attached to side of ceiling joists with 2 noggins in each vertical section. - like an ordinary stud wall, except then infilled with brick (actually on edge) and plastered. Walls stand on doubled up joists below.

Quite true I'd forgotten about the bricks being laid on their edges. Seen that a few times.
Those straw wall are a suprise when you come across them .......especially for kitchen fitters trying to put up wall units.

One lot of lads in a bungalow got called in to the fully tiled bathroom to be shown a line of holes through the tiles.... a very thin wall :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back