structural wall or not?

Thanks everyone, the length of the wall to be replaced is approx 3.5m long so for an estimate of the cost of the rsj i could use the 152 x 152?

Sponsored Links
That section is available in several weights - you could use the 23kg/m beam, if it's only supporting floor load (and maybe a light partition upstairs?).

Yes there is no wall immediately above the wall it's in the middle of a bedroom, So is that the 152 X 152 X 23, sorry for being painful I'm new to this

Yes, assuming no roof load is supported off the bedroom wall - (it shouldn't be because if it's a 1990s house the roof will be of roof trusses spanning front-to-back).

Sponsored Links

The roof trusses run both ways due to the shape of the roof as seen in the picture, the wall to be removed is between the downstairs window on the right and the slim patio doors next to them, with the bedroom above.

Does this all seem normal and ok?

Looks normal; tap the partition upstairs to check that it is hollow - should normally be a light stud partition or egg-crate type.

I have just hacked away more of the ceiling in the dining room to reveal a RSJ across the room which is directly beneath where the brick wall above that goes up the side of the room is, this actually reduces the span to 4.5m and I believe from this chart the limit is 4.68 for the 47 x 195 timber joists (http://www.dfpni.gov.uk/d.pdf) - so I think I may well of got away with this unless advised otherwise??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back