Is this a load bearing wall?

I forgot what the dims are but it looks about 6m from wall to wall, so dead load will be around 2.3kN, live 6.9kN; and you're unlikely to ever get anything like the live loading on the floor upstairs, so most of the time your padstones will be taking around 1/4 to 1/2 tonne.

The beam does take the floor load. Although the joists probably wouldn't collapse with no beam there, they would deflect noticeably. So yes from that pov they are stopping it deflecting, but the beam does take floor load.

Sponsored Links
Today I was able to complete the boxing in of the RSJ and plaster boarding of the old wall slot.

DSC02156Medium.jpg

DSC02157Medium.jpg

However, I wanted to ask advice on what to do about this.....

DSC02158Medium.jpg

As you can see, where the wall was lies a layer of damp proof course above rough hard ground.

Either side, you can see the rubbery type floor screed they used.
Do I cut the damp proof course off at the wall or leave it there, and what to I fill the void with to bring it level with the floor in the adjoining rooms?

Sponsored Links
can i just say great thread... room looks great and all the info about beams and the like was very good reading...
i'm thinking of extending our lounge forwards in line with the front of the porch and next door so will need a beam to span (pos full width) so this has been a great read and reference...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back