Will Architects plans work??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My son has an architect designing a big new house but where the first floor back wall of the house sits above the middle of the kitchen/diner below which is 6metres across as shown below

upload_2021-3-20_12-16-58.png

<6metre>
The room is 12 metres long so I assume beams would need to run from front to back but where the back wall in theory has 2 sets of 3.6 metre bifold doors.

I appreciate that anything is possible given enough money and steel but would kitchen /diner roof beams also have to be steel(ratherr than concrete/metal web/glulam) and any idea how deep the roof beams and those above the bifold dors would need to be.

Worried as do not want to waste thousands on planning only to find it cannot be built at reasobnable cost.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Bozzle

Sponsored Links
the image s just a thumbnail -I wont open any bigger.

could you re post it bigger. -a plan of ground and 1st floor would be useful

building in steelwork into a new construction is much easier than retrofit -and you can get a fair few beams for say £5k

Sponsored Links
I appreciate that right side wall is also an issue as 1st floor corner is also above middle of kitchen diner but thought I would ask the easiest question first

Steels are least of your worries, how is the thermal performance looking?

Hopefully you have a very detailed builder.

All these questions should be going to the architect!

Last edited:
You should be discussing your concerns with your Architect and he in turn will discuss with the structural engineer.

You should have (still can) specify your requirements regarding beams, visibility type etc to the Architect and he should design to your requirements if possible or offer viable alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back