21 Dec 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom

i'm just about to start knoking through a new doorway from the existing kitchen into a new utility room built on the side of the house (the utility has a bedroom above too.

The wall is a double skin brick wall, no cavity.

the wall is the old external wall to the house, and supports the ends of the ceiling/floor joist of the old bedroom above on the inside, and the floor/ceiling joists of the new bedrrom above on the "outside".

what type of lintel should i use, there are approx 4 or 5 courses of bricks above where the lintel will be and the underside of the joists,

i was thinking of a couple of 6" concrete lintels, one either side?

also, should i support the walls above with akro props, or will i get away with just taking the bricks out and installing the lintels, waiting for everything to set, THEN knocking the dorway out?

thanks all
Sponsored Links
A couple of concrete precast are probably the way to go for just a single door.. size will depend on span of floor/roof above etc etc..
What do the building regs drawings show?
drawings show the usual infor we had on this job - NOTHING :(

to be fair most othe rthings have been covered off, but no mention of the lintels on the intenal openings through from the house, only the new external openings, which Catnic is specified....

will it need propping during fitting?
Sponsored Links
It depends........ If the existing brickwork is in good repair / well bonded it may well stay up. If the mortar has turned to dust you will most likely lose the triangle of brickwork directly above the opening. If in doubt whack a strongboy in and prop with an acro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local