advice on lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.....i am looking at widening an existing opening in an outer house wall that is brick outer and block inner with a 50mm cavity.
I need to open it to 3metres wide so i can carry thru the ceiling from the house to a new extension, (single storey)
On the inner side of the house is a joist running parrellel to the opening so there is nothing above to support other than brick and block work.
Problem is i need to install a lintel but cannot support from outside and also inside the house as the existing joist is in the way of using needles.

Will strong boys do?...only issue i can think of is that they will need to be too close to the house wall that i can't fit the lintel.

Also...is there a lintel i can use (concrete or box lintel) that is 65mm x 255 that is rated to support brick and block above?.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also...is there a lintel i can use (concrete or box lintel) that is 65mm x 255 that is rated to support brick and block above?.

You don't say what loadings you've got above but a 3300mm concrete lintel @ those dims ain't going to hold much so I very much doubt it. You're looking at a IG L1/S 50 or L1/HD 50:-

305.jpg

or Catnic equivalent thereof should see you right - but you need to confirm any heavy/unusual loadings. *You would need to go for a 3600mm in the IG as they don't manufacturer a 3300mm so you would have 300mm end bearings either side on a 3000mm span*

EDIT: Sorry, you have mentionned loadings, just seen this:-

(single storey)
On the inner side of the house is a joist running parrellel to the opening so there is nothing above to support other than brick and block work.

Must be the ale :LOL:, how many courses above the opening do you need to support?

the brick courses that will be above the lintel are up to the top of the house. so i guess about 10-15 in the triangle above the lintel.
I am concerned that if i use strong boys which will be close to the house wall....i will not have enough room to install a lintel of the type you showed.

Thanks for reply

Strongboys can not be used for both leaves of a cavity wall

You need to insert Strongboys high enough so as the lintel can be inserted beneath them

Sponsored Links
The joist is no problem. The problem may arise depending on what stage extension is.

Is extension started, finished plate high or what?

oldun :confused: :confused:

needle through above the joist ,, take out the brickwork up to the needles, fit your lintel and then brick it all back up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back