I need to create opening on the left in the picture below.
- Its a single storey building with a pitch roof over.
- The lintel for the opening on the right has a bearing of approximately 250mm each side which ends within about 60mm of the new opening.
- There is a single row of blocks on top of the inner skin of the lintel on the right and the wall plate is mounted on top of that. There are no bricks on the outer skin and the soffit tucks just under the lintel face.
- The new opening is for a door the frame of which is the same height as the outer skin of bricks.
- Can I just use a concrete lintel for the inner skin and rest it on the flange of the existing lintel to get my 150mm bearing?
- As there is no structure above the opening on the outer skin does there need to be any kind of lintel there screw the door frame to etc?