moving windows and doors

23 Jan 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
In a Victorian house with rotten lintels, I want to move/close/open window and door openings in 9" rendered solid brick walls. Most of the openings probably have a wooden lintel in the inner skin and a brick arch in the outer skin (they do on the brick front elevation).

Putting aside planning permission for now:

1. How best should I fill in unwanted openings with rotten lintels?

2. If I cut new openings, should I use a single 215mm lintel or what?

3. Can I (a) cut openings to fit standard metric size windows and doors or (b) must I cut to the nearest brick and pack (with layers of tile and mortar?) or (c) get windows and doors made to fit?
Sponsored Links
If it was my house, I would build camber arches over the new openings to match the existing.
For the new windows and door frames I would knock out a larger hole and build the frames in.
Clean up the old bricks you take out and use them to fill in the old openings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links