Bi fold doors lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just bought a house with an extension on back, 4m depth with sloping roof and velux windows. Currently has a set of french doors and a window, would like to replace with bi fold doors.
Opening would be 3.8m. Current construction has inner skin built from blocks with 150mm concrete lintels over doors and windows. Roof joists sit on wall plate on top of this lintels. Outer skin brick taking no load from joists. Facia board bottom sits right up to door and window frames.
Anybody on here now if it would be possible to replace this lintels with one to cover the new opening? Steel obviously, but would like same dimensions so roof line doesn’t need to be lifted
Tia

291DA625-0070-4008-937A-95326099F520.jpeg
6C71833C-7595-4677-8EED-4D5227D764E7.jpeg
8FE729D3-4F9D-4B12-A35D-1B2D19AC8946.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yeah no problem.

Thanks, didn’t want to instruct a structural engineer if they were going to charge me to say it’s not possible.
Wish the previous owners had just got bi folds!

I doubt you will have room for a catnic type lintel as I'm certain it will be a 3 course fella.

You may just squeeze an engineered steel e.g. 178mm x 102mm x ? kg's into the available gap. S.E. input will be inevitable with that sized opening.

Sponsored Links
Just wanted some reassurance it was feasible, as if the roof needs raising it won’t be viable.
Next issue would be how do you get it in!

This wont be permitted development on new builds. Building regulations will be required, and that enginner will need to be paid for after all.

This wont be permitted development on new builds. Building regulations will be required, and that enginner will need to be paid for after all.

I don’t mind paying for SE just wondered if it was possible in space available.

Best go find a SE then, any recommendations in north east England?

Does this sound about right?

Thank you for inviting us to quote

This is a shallow mono-pitched roof and the ends will have to be supported

This is something we can design and the cost would be £400inc

Our quick turnaround means that we are normally able to carry out the inspection within 2-3 working days (subject to satisfactory access) and deliver you the completed calculations via email within 5 working days thereafter.

Kind regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back