Opening for BI-Fold doors.

MB.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning lads and lasses! Long time lurker but first post, so please be gentle :p

I would like to replace my back window and patio doors with one big bi-fold door.

The walls are PVC cladded timber frame and the roof is flat. What would I need to do to open the opening up for bi-folds? what will support the flat roof above it?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Hi MB,

You need to replace with a lintel of some sort.

It could be timber or steel....steel is the most likely, but depends on span and height above.

As you have a a clad frame, you will need to remove the cladding above the new opening to get your lintel in.

I expect you will also need to add additional studs to support the weight.

be careful to work out where the track head fixings need to be -if a steel lintel make sure you miss the web

top hung track systems obv put more load on lintel than bottom running systems....

Thank you Notch7

Removing some of the cladding isn't a problem, as I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit nicer anyway.

Above the current door is a timber 'lintel'. Looks to be 2 4x2's screwed together. Can I do something similar for the (approx 12ft) new opening? Is there any tables anywhere that tell me span lengths for this? I can only find joists ones.

If it has to be steel, what would hold it down to the studwork? I understand I would have to add some support, 2 or 3 'king studs'?

Thank you for your help.

MB

Sponsored Links
You are bound to get a zealous SE that will recommend a goal post steel arrangement. Be prepared to have to raise the roof in order to accommodate the new steel height. This in turn will mean complying joists and warm deck roof. You will likely be raising your current roof height by about a foot.

All new stuff will need to comply.

Thank you Notch7

Removing some of the cladding isn't a problem, as I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit nicer anyway.

Above the current door is a timber 'lintel'. Looks to be 2 4x2's screwed together. Can I do something similar for the (approx 12ft) new opening? Is there any tables anywhere that tell me span lengths for this? I can only find joists ones.

If it has to be steel, what would hold it down to the studwork? I understand I would have to add some support, 2 or 3 'king studs'?

Thank you for your help.

MB

you could do a flitch beam, glulam timber beam, steel lintel.

As Noseall says, there is a risk you might get asked for goal posts -reason is that when you create a large opening, you increase the load of the house down to the foundation on the remaining section of wall, might not be a problem if its single story. However if your opening is getting close to the ends of the building then cutting out a big hole might reduce lateral strength of the building. (think hurricane winds blowing onto your house).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back