New Window Opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me for asking what is probably a basic question.... As part of a soon to be started extension and alterations to my existing bungalow (built in '62), there will be two new window openings into the existing cavity walls. I would appreciate some insight into the procedure for making the openings, in terms of the best way to cut the brick work, best type of lintel to use and how to install, and how to support the existing masonry.

For info, the existing (uPVC) windows finish at the sofits, i.e. no facing brick work above the windows. Does this mean the existing window lintels will be above the inner block skin only? If so, should I use this method for the new openings or should I use a steel catnic type lintel?

Also, when cutting the facing brick down the vertical brick mortar joints, is it normal practice to leave the half cut bricks with the cut ends, or replace them with new bricks?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Eng33 said:
Also, when cutting the facing brick down the vertical brick mortar joints, is it normal practice to leave the half cut bricks with the cut ends, or replace them with new bricks?

Many thanks.

we prefer to toothe out the cut halves and turn them around, clean up and re-lay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back