Cutting in lintel for a new window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a 650mm wide window in our end gable wall to our bungalow (normal window height)

Do i still need structural calcs for lintel, any guides for this as ive chopped in french doors under an existing window lintel but not from scratch.

Ideally i'd like to install a Catnic but don't see how you put a catnic in unless you take out lots of courses of bricks above?

Any pointers appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Strictly, you will need a b/regs application for the opening (fire spread, structural integrity of the resultant wall), resistance to moisture (DPCs) and the window (thermal performance).

As long as you specify a standard lintel then you wont need to justify it by calculation.

Inverted "T" lintels can be slid up into a supported cavity wall, Catnic boot lintels require more removal of the wall on the inside.

Strictly, you will need a b/regs application for the opening (fire spread, structural integrity of the resultant wall), resistance to moisture (DPCs) and the window (thermal performance).

As long as you specify a standard lintel then you wont need to justify it by calculation.

Inverted "T" lintels can be slid up into a supported cavity wall, Catnic boot lintels require more removal of the wall on the inside.
B regs will be required under part A and Part L only, with the remote possibility of part B due to space seperation issues although a window only 650mm in width is unlikely to exceed 1 sq m of unprotected area so even on the boundary this is unlikely to be an issue and therefore not a material alteration under part b. As daft as it sounds Part C alterations are not a material alteration.

Sponsored Links
Just picking up on this Lintel issue, if someone could bare with me here.

As above the window is about 600wide. My challenge is i want to cut the lintel into my bedroom wall. Then of course cut out the hole for the window after install.

The carpet is new as are the walls which are lined with 40mm PIR backed plasterboard.

Internal wall is standard block with cavity then brick work.

I am struggling here to work out how i cut the slot for the lintel.

I believe i need something like this

https://catnic.com/products/lintels/ts90-100

Obviously i don't want to make too much mess internally. But then i guess have to cut a slot to along the shoulders of the lintel to sit under the internal blockwork. Whilst i am believe it or not adept at most jobs this one is stressing me.

I want to some how install it from outside, i guess i remove 2 courses of bricks? The wall is end gable to a bungalow.

This video i watched looks closest? However this house is in pre decorated state. Any tips here v much appreciated.

Help!

For a 600mm window in the gable of a bungalow I'd bodge it (in a calculated way if course), but for a proper job I would advise a thin concrete lintel for the inner skin and a single skin steel lintel for the outer - both easier to get in. Do it all from outside (if you're really lucky the inner blocks will be lightweight and easier to cut - if not it'll be chain drilling, chisel and a bit of making good). You can do the whole thing from outside and just cut out the internal plasterboard when you've done to reveal the opening.

For a 600mm window in the gable of a bungalow I'd bodge it (in a calculated way if course), but for a proper job I would advise a thin concrete lintel for the inner skin and a single skin steel lintel for the outer - both easier to get in. Do it all from outside (if you're really lucky the inner blocks will be lightweight and easier to cut - if not it'll be chain drilling, chisel and a bit of making good). You can do the whole thing from outside and just cut out the internal plasterboard when you've done to reveal the opening.

Thankyou very much for your help here sorta reaffirms my thoughts on how i was going to attack it. Bodge i gather you mean not put one in?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back