Insert Window Lintel without taking out Soldier Course...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will be removing windows, and replacing 3x lintels in a cavity wall.

The original external leaf lintels are flat bars; these will be replaced with L-shaped Catnic lintels.

Just a thought, but... Is it ever possible to insert a lintel without removing the soldier course. Can this be done by:
(i) removing the window,
(ii) removing the brick under the lintel,
(iii) removing the lintel,
(iv) inserting (and propping) L-shaped lintel (under/behind soldier course)
(v) inserting a new brick under lintel
(vi) installing new windows

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• Lintel_IMG_1985.JPG
    Lintel_IMG_1985.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 333
  • ang_product-2_15.jpg
    ang_product-2_15.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 348
Sponsored Links
I take from this that it is a bad idea, but may work if i am lucky.
i just think you have to be really careful, i asked a question about a multi tool cutter that i bought, i was taking an old wooden window out and planned using the multi tool cutter to take the frame out gently, a little piece at a time, i had a row of soldier bricks just resting on the old wooden window frame, i managed to replace the window without disturbing the bricks, and the window was 2.4 mtre wide..
but i see some of my other windows have been replaced by the previous owner, and they have made such a pigs ear that the bricks have moved considerably..just go nice and steady and take your time

Sponsored Links
I did this with a 1.8m wide lintel, and used two acros/strongboys to increase the luck factor.

In your step ii) you'll probably need to remove 2 or 3 bricks to be able to swing the lintel in, but it's certainly doable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back