DPC on Catnic single leaf lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of installing a Catnic single leaf lintel above a new upvc window. As you can see from the photo the single course of soldier bricks were supported by the frame alone. What I need to know is where do I place the DPC? Also should I screw the rear of the lintel into the internal concrete lintel to ensure there is no forward movement being as it is going to hold 32 soldier bricks?

View media item 84781
View media item 84782
Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

Sponsored Links
The finish on a standard catnic lintel is intended to be the dpc, so it is integral.In any case at that position under the eaves, you are unlikely to get any rain coming in above the soldier course and over the top of the frame.

Drilling the lintel in one or two places won't do it any harm, but drilling into the concrete is a bit of an unknown. If you have to do that, drill above the centreline of the lintel.

The catnic should be temporarily propped until the mortar has set, eg with a timber strut.

The finish on a standard catnic lintel is intended to be the dpc, so it is integral.In any case at that position under the eaves, you are unlikely to get any rain coming in above the soldier course and over the top of the frame.

Drilling the lintel in one or two places won't do it any harm, but drilling into the concrete is a bit of an unknown. If you have to do that, drill above the centreline of the lintel.

The catnic should be temporarily propped until the mortar has set, eg with a timber strut.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

The label on the Catnic lintel I purchased does say it needs a dpc. As you say it is unlikely to get wet under the eaves, and I’m thinking it would only happen if there was a problem with the guttering. As it stands I’ve already purchased the dcp (and weep holes) so would make sense to use it. It is wide enough to cover both the facing back, front and underneath should I need to do so. My main concern is the fact the lintel looks like it will be prone to rusting.

Your advice on drilling the concrete lintel makes sense and I’ll ensure I do drill as high up as I can.

Yeah I was already thinking about how to prop up the new lintel (without removing the new window) being as it would be a little unstable until the mortar has set. Fortunately the new lintel isn’t too bad given I tested it by lining up all the bricks on top to see if there was any movement. Apart from the forward movement caused by the weight of the bricks, there wasn’t anything else.

Above that concrete lintel for the inner skin, there may be the timber wall plate
If you can get up to it, is there any way you could fix(nail or screw) a small piece of thin metal to it to come down and restrain the back of the lintel whilst the brickwork sets? - something like the restraint clip on page 24 of this;

http://www.catnic.com/libraries/document/CATNIC_A4LintelBrochure_SEPT2013_WEB.pdf

Sponsored Links
Above that concrete lintel for the inner skin, there may be the timber wall plate
If you can get up to it, is there any way you could fix(nail or screw) a small piece of thin metal to it to come down and restrain the back of the lintel whilst the brickwork sets? - something like the restraint clip on page 24 of this;

http://www.catnic.com/libraries/document/CATNIC_A4LintelBrochure_SEPT2013_WEB.pdf[/QUOTE]

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply and link.

Unfortunately when I looked up through the very small gap between the inner and outer wall I didn’t see any timber, just brick. Chances are I’ll remove the outer upvc window sill and replace it with some timber. That way I should be able to release enough brickwork to create a temporary support for the new lintel.

As much as I’m dreading to drill into the inner concrete lintel, I do have a SDS drill to do the work. I’ll just need to keep the holes as far to the top as possible given it seems I have no other option.

As for the dpc, how would you look to place it on the new lintel?

Many thanks,

Robert

I'd recommend screwing a batten temporarily accross the centre of where you'll be laying the soldiers, as they're prone to tip forward...
I too wouldn't bother with a tray, return it for a refund? But they go beneath & up behind the bricks if you insist :D

I'd recommend screwing a batten temporarily accross the centre of where you'll be laying the soldiers, as they're prone to tip forward...
I too wouldn't bother with a tray, return it for a refund? But they go beneath & up behind the bricks if you insist :D

Great! Thanks for the advice. Will start the work next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back