fitting a new lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Installing a catnic lintel for a new doorway on external cavity wall.

The existing wall has a door way and a window as per this imagie

The bit I am unsure of now is fitting the lintel with regards to height.

Currently the lintels are 340mm from bottom to joist above with 4 rows of bricks.

The catnic is 235mm tall.
From what i gather I should raise the lintel up and pack the bearing with slate.
So if i do this, it will leave 1 row of bricks then the top of lintel but will mean a gap of appro 25-35mm
This to mean seems to large to pack with slate!? and too small to lay a part brick.

What does anyone think?

Sponsored Links
From what i gather I should raise the lintel up and pack the bearing with slate.
So if i do this, it will leave 1 row of bricks then the top of lintel but will mean a gap of appro 25-35mm
This to mean seems to large to pack with slate!? and too small to lay a part brick.

What does anyone think?
Use a semi dry mix mortar (1:2 mix). This will be plenty strong enough to take the load and mixing it semi-dry (so that it binds if you make a ball from it) will prevent shrinkage and cracking of the mortar.

1 motar to 2 water?

So lift it and then pack the mortar under the bearings ?

Sponsored Links
what about quarry tiles as packers? I has a whole floor's worth to get rid of and they will bulk out most the gap and then a slither of slate tiles?

or just stick with the mortar?

what about quarry tiles as packers? I has a whole floor's worth to get rid of and they will bulk out most the gap and then a slither of slate tiles?

or just stick with the mortar?
Quarry tiles are plenty strong enough, but the most important thing if using them is to ensure that the load is evenly spread over the bearing and tiles. If not, you end up with areas of higher stresses which might cause the tiles to crack.

hmm, okay thanks for all your help and info....will wait until i've got current lintels out and see what levels are like............guessing by this house.......**** lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back