Raising Fireplace Lintel.. help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of altering a fireplace for a solid fuel stove and need to raise the lintel 2/3 courses. Doing so will expose the gather which I would also like to raise.

From previous work whoever opened the fireplace means the gather is currently supported by the shoulder on the left (pic 1) and by a brick jamb on the right (pic 2). My question is what would be the best way to support the gather after it has been raised?. Would a couple of Catnic Internal Corrugated Lintels on each side be ok or should I use concrete lintels? these would be bed 100mm deep into the face wall and the rear wall of the fireplace?

Corrugated lintels shown in attached link below. Would look like pic 4 when finished (from another post on the subject).

http://www.buildit4less.co.uk/produ...ernal-wall-lintel/catnic-cn102-1050-1200.html

View media item 63240 View media item 63258 View media item 63259 View media item 63262

Sponsored Links
At some stage you will need a HETAS person, so perhaps its best to call one in now - and they will give you a view on how to proceed.
Have the dimensions, and Mfr's Recommendations of the appliance at hand for the HETAS visit.

If you research on here, there are umpteen recent posts ref the same business.

AAMOI: from the pics i should say that using a Strong Boy Acrow will carry the c/breast while you work below.
Your lintel can be re-used, and your hearth must be extended out at the c/breast front to Blg Regs dimensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back