Flue support when widening fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of knocking out the existing fireplace to fit a stove in. I've done this in my livingroom already with no fuss. Typically, something funky has been done to this fireplace sometime in its past so I need to do a bit of work to it to get it ready. One of the things I need t do is widen it. I been reading through loads of posts about this subject, but there is one thing that concerns me an that in the majority of posts the lintel is widened but not reference is made to how the flue is supported.

existing
proposed

am I correct in what I am showing in the proposed picture? One lintel running left to right, and two running front to back supporting the flue?

The pic below is the fireplace as it stands now, bit of a mishmash. In the past it looks like there was possibly 2 fireplaces as the room used to have a dividing wall. That would explain the third chimney pot i cant account for! I propose to remove the lintel that has been fitted and widen and raise the opening.

a view up the chimney

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back