widening fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to have a multifuel burner insalled but the fireplace needs widening, would I need to use acrow props with strongboys to fit a new lintel?
The chimney breast is around 170cm wide I intend opening the fireplace to 100cm wide

Sponsored Links
As long as the breast doesn't look to be sagging or loose, you would probably be ok to just pin it in the middle a few courses above where you want to enlarge it. The load will then be taken off the bricks lower down in a spreading out sort of pattern. If you know what I mean.
Take out a brick, slot a timber through, and prop this inside and outside of the breast wall while you do the work.
You shouldn't need acrows.

Sponsored Links
Your plan sounds Ok , but would you have enough room to manoeuvre the lintel between the props and the brickwork? I'd also do a reccy up the flue to make sure you won't have a major internal collapse on one side when you take out the bricks in the sides of the opening below. There's a surprising weight of material lurking up there.
Alternatively you could wing it and hope that the triangle of bricks supported by the lintel doesn't collapse before you can get the new one in. Only for the young and athletic this one..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back