Widening chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking for some advice I am looking to widen the opening on my chimney to fit an electric fire

The fire opening is 805mm wide would I need a lintel going the entire width of the chimney (1150mm) and if so would I need support the corners with acrows and strong boys

would a 900mm lintel be enough which I seriously doubt

The fire is 145mm deep so do not need to remove bricks all the way to the back

Attachments

• Fire.jpg
    Fire.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Hi its

FLAMME 33"/84cm Castello Slim Frame Recessed Media Wall Inset Electric Fireplace​

Heppy,

Maybe the full width of the chimney breast lintel is the best option?
You could use two spaced Strong Boy Acrows for support while inserting the lintel.
Use an angle grinder to open mortar beds - the least amount of knocking & hammering possible.
Sweep the flue, & consider flue ventilation?
A min of two workers would be needed.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks I thought that would be the best option.

The stack has been removed and capped in loft, it has had an inset electric fire for the last 16 years.

Heppy,

Maybe the full width of the chimney breast lintel is the best option?
You could use two spaced Strong Boy Acrows for support while inserting the lintel.
Use an angle grinder to open mortar beds - the least amount of knocking & hammering possible.
Sweep the flue, & consider flue ventilation?
A min of two workers would be needed.
Its a chimney breast 4 brick wide, for what reason would he need at least 2 men?

Same reason you need two workers when doing roof work or work at heights.
Five bricks wide.
workers not "men".

So if I place an acrow prop about 150mm from each side that would be enough support to insert an end to end lintel

Looking inside the chimney there is a concrete block either side of the chimney at about the height where the top of the new lintel would sit - see picture

Attachments

• Fire 2.jpg
    Fire 2.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 21.52.35.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 21.52.35.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
So if I place an acrow prop about 150mm from each side that would be enough support to insert an end to end lintel

Looking inside the chimney there is a concrete block either side of the chimney at about the height where the top of the new lintel would sit - see picture
1 prop in centre is fine, the sides of your breast will support the rest (size 0 acrow) the concrete is probably the fireplace throat, you may have to remove it before the lintels are put in, a standard 1050mm x 65mm x 100mm concrete lintel is sufficient, you may need 2 lintels one behind the other, if you have to prop higher up due to the throat, rebuild brickwork on top of lintels.

Worth knowing that if you cut out 810mm you will probably be going into the structural jambs on each side of the chimney breast. These were often 9 inch brickwork, so you would be cutting out a few inches each side.

Yes these are 10" wide either side and 13" deep so I would be cutting in 4" either side and 6" deep would this be a risk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back