Widening a chimney breast - what's involved please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would like to install a log burner in our lounge. The chimney is external and too narrow to accept the log burner. The external width is only 44" and I need nearer 60". Could a builder easily widen the bottom of the chimney breast so that the inside could then be made wide enough to accept the fire? Would he/I need planning permission or building regs? Is he likely to charge £500 or £1000? I've absolutely no idea about these things? Do I need to consider anything else? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Given your concern, why not post pics of the inside fire opening and the outside chimney breast?

Widening your chimney breast would be an expensive undertaking. Its best to revise your ideas on the width (& perhaps type) of the log burner.

Yes, a picture would be useful.
Are you asking about increasing the width of the fireplace insert in your lounge? If so, yes it could be done assuming the chimney breast could safely accommodate the extra width but no idea of cost - would probably involve new lintels and associated building work, plastering, etc. I don't think any permissions would be required - just use a reputable builder.

Alternative if you are going to fit such a wide woodburner is to extend your hearth and accommodate the stove outside of the inset, so only the pipework is housed in the insert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back