Fitting Catnic lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So have the hole ready for lintel to go into but a row of bricks plus a couple more have fallen so is the following the ebst way

1. Get lintel into place
2. lift and rest on piers which are about 1inch low of final height
3.cement the blocks into back of lintel as per catnic instruction
4.mortor row of bricks onto top of lintel and block and butter up the top of these bricks and fit any above that has fallen too.
then jack lintel to full height
with lintel held at full height pack the piers and bearing ends with strong mix as per a previous thread 1:2 and fairly dry - or if it seems better I have quarry tiles and slate
leave it all in place for a day and then jobs a good un?

This about right?

I am just unsure of how to do it with the row above being loose........it was nicely there until today lol

Sponsored Links
or do i fit lintels to correct height and then try to push in the row of bricks above and really cram in the motar?

Sponsored Links
I can't understand why the lintel has not been inserted at a bed joint level, and why it does not work normal courses and joints when you put the bricks back in

the overall height of lintel is 235mm
the house is built like sh**
on the inner skin there are 3 different size and style bricks...i think this was the last of a bulk build

I will be a little under an inch to be honest but still a fair gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back