Question about fitting a new catnic lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had the builders round as we want to remove a wall and put a lintel in. The builders tell me that when they put the catnic lintel in, the supporting wall under it will have to be made up. They say it will sit on a loose brick and the gap under the brick filled with old roofing slates jammed in to make sure the lintel is tight to the floor joists above.
Can anyone tell me if this will be ok or if not how should it be done.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Generally yes, it is easier to pack the bearings up rather than put the lintel at a set level and pack all the wall above it.

Be aware that many steel lintels should not have joists bearing directly on them, and may require a certain amount of block or brickwork on the lintel and then the joists resting on that. Check the recomendations for the particular lintel on the manufacturers website - make sure you look at the correct manufacturers site for the lintel being used. Some people use 'Catnic' as a generic term for a steel lintel

Ok thanks. I was worried that packing under the catnic lintel with a loose brick then jammed in slates under the brick sounded abit iffy.

packing directly under a lintel with a non-compressible material is not unusual.

if the space can not accommodate a brick & bed then a lesser gap can be made up with either a split brick or packers. we have used a concrete paving slab, quarry tiles, cement slates, real slates, metal shims, pcc builders lintels etc.

Sponsored Links
We have had the builders round as we want to remove a wall and put a lintel in. The builders tell me that when they put the catnic lintel in, the supporting wall under it will have to be made up. They say it will sit on a loose brick and the gap under the brick filled with old roofing slates jammed in to make sure the lintel is tight to the floor joists above.
Can anyone tell me if this will be ok or if not how should it be done.
Thanks
so your roof joists sit on the lintel,something wrong there,time you get your plasterboard on it a be lower than the bottom lintel lol send a picture ,il help you out :cool:

They say the lintel will be a catnic cn6xb.
Will this lintel be ok for the floor joists above to sit directly on? they say it will. and then brick and packing underneath between the lintel and remaining wall.
There is not a wall upstairs above the wall that will be removed.
Thanks

In a word: yes.
so shy you have a crystal ball now , never in my life have i seen timbers sitting directly on a catnic , no wall above? whats that about ,is it a bungalow?a shed? if he has a opening underside of lintel you expect him to bring ceiling lower than top of frame lol, you know what i reckon your pete himself to give a stupid yes to his question , hey pete shy you sure you know what a catnic is lol,

Clearly I do have a crystal ball, as I just knew that you would come along and spout some more absolute balls. Mind you, that's as sure as night following day.

Seems you just might be thinking about Cougars. CN6 is a box lintel goes up to 3.6m span, with a swl of 2.9 tonnes. With not a lot of wall above, that's an awful lot of floor dead and live load. Doesn't need to work in conjunction with any blockwork; can be placed directly under joists.

Go back to your fag and tea break; best go look at Catnic literature before uttering again, as well... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all replys.

Shytalks - It seems everything will be ok, Thanks for your help.

Fastneattrowel - I think you might not of understood me in my descriptions (sorry i'm not a builder) I don't live in a shed or bungalow - what I meant was there is a room above upstairs but not a wall over the wall we are removing. Thanks

PS. I am Pete not Shytalks.

I am Shytalkz

I, am Shytalkz

No, I am Shytalkz - and so is my wife

:LOL:

Thanks for all replys.

Shytalks - It seems everything will be ok, Thanks for your help.

Fastneattrowel - I think you might not of understood me in my descriptions (sorry i'm not a builder) I don't live in a shed or bungalow - what I meant was there is a room above upstairs but not a wall over the wall we are removing. Thanks

PS. I am Pete not Shytalks.
look pete shy wood who ever you are ,il call you the riddler if you dont mind ,if theres no wall above why you using a catnic?riddler who mentioned a box lintel in the 1st instance ,why not two concrete lintels if it aint seen ,i can see you pete shy wood who ever you are is some kind of donut who asks silly questions to get back silly answers from pete woody shy and co,so riddler dont waste my knowledge no more by me answering your silly stupid none existing projects :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back