garage conversion price

W

westie1961

hi all,

we are in south derbyshire and are having our garage converted into a kitchen -

has anyone any ida of a fair price for the following -

brick up existing garage door opening + fit window. i will supply bricks and window. BC say the new wall can be buildt on existing floor slab.

Brick up existing single door at other end of garage.
Cut hole in the same wall and fit a 5ft window and a lintel to support bricks above window.

make opening from existing kitchen into garage - this will be 6 foot wide.

structural engineer has inspected and will calculate beams neeeded.

house was buildt ten years ago. garage is single brick construction.

i have been quoted 3k, it that fair

cheers

Sponsored Links
can i ask what you are doing regarding isulation etc? or is that being done by yourself? do you need to make cavity or can you just install insulation and board over?

Rs steve makes a good point, if the "garage, soon to be kitchen", is only 4 1/2" skin (half brick) thick, then in order to use it as a habitable part of the house you will need to insulate to the legal minimum.
without becoming boring, :oops: there are different requirements for hab and non hab parts of any building.
This can be mitigated for older properties, but not in your case, (10years old)
I'm surprised the DS (building inspector etc.) didn't mention this,
Any who, the price sounds ok.
Alan D. (chessspy)

Sponsored Links
I'm not so sure it is a bargain if that is all they are doing.

What about the new floor, insulation of walls and ceiling, electrics, plastering, second fix, decorating etc?

hi, i will be insulating walls, ceiling and floor as well as laying a DPM.

also lining walls and ceiling and fitting the new floor and refitting kitchen. although cooker will be fited by a corgi reg fitter and all electrics will be done by a suitably qualified electrician.

i am having the work done under full plans building notice, and i am quite aware of the requirements for insulation. i have had planning passed.

we were going to extend above the garage, and have now discovered that the garage foundations are the same spec as the house foundations but with house prices so unstable we dont want to spend too much.

anyhow re the garage conversion, all i have been quoted for is -

1)bricking up the existing garage door - and installing a window.
bc has told us that so long as there is 6 inches of concrete there wont be any need to dig a new foundation for the new wall / window in the garage opening.

2)cutting brickwork, fitting lintel and window in wall at other end of garage.
3)bricking up doorway in other end of garage.
4) installing rsj and opening up between garage and kitchen. this will be about 2 metres wide. a structural engineer is doing the calcs for the rsj(*2).
i am aware that the bc may want us to dig down and expose the foundations under the peirs to ensure they are substantial enough to take the extra load.

the chap that quoted 3k has done a similar job on our estate although he concreted their floor and skimmed the ceiling.

any builders in south derbyshire want to quote?

hi all,

i have been quoted 3k, it that fair

absolute bargain! :eek:

hi, what would you quote for the work , if i can supply the windows, bricks and rsj * 2. and arrange and pay for a skip.

1) brick garage door and fit window.
2) brick up single access door.
3) cut hole in wall, fit lintel and window (5ft wide window)
4) install rsj * 2 in house gable end to give access from kitchen to garage.

i can help by doing some of the labouring if the builder is a one man band.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back