Lintel Advice Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please.

I am looking to replace an existing garage window with some french doors. The window already has a steel lintel, but this is going to need to be replaced as the doors are wider.

The width of the doors are 1500mm the wall construction that the lintel will sit on is single leaf solid brick (no cavity) the masonry height above the Lintel is 160mm (2 bricks) There is more than 600mm of brick each side of the opening.

The roof of the garage is pitched, with trusses, and tiles on top. The span of the trusses is 3500mm.

I am looking at a steel Keystone SB/K lintel it has a rating of 8KN. Its 1800mm wide, and can sit on single brick.

Do I need something more heavy duty ? Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
What’s 2 courses above, the wall plate? If so I’d be v surprised if it wasn’t ok seeing as the roof weight will be spread across the wall plate

Hi 23vc, thanks very much for your reply. Yes, there are two courses of bricks and then the wall plate. To make sure I'm singing from the same song sheet I have attached some pictures. One of the outside, the other of the inside. The yellow lines indicate where the hole will be cut and the current door that will be bricked up.

Attachments

• InkedExternal_LI.jpg
    InkedExternal_LI.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 224
  • InkedInternal_LI.jpg
    InkedInternal_LI.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 223

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back