Lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to be replacing a window with wider french doors, I have got permission from building control and bought the doors and a concrete lintel. The wall is a non cavity brick wall basically it is 2 rows of bricks next to each other, the lintel is the width of a single brick.

My question is this: Do I fit 1 lintel into the external side of the wall or do I need to fit 2 lintels 1 on the exterior side and 1 on the interior side or is there a special lintel that you should get for non cavity walls?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
tvuk2000 said:
Hi
you will need to support the whole width of the wall ie both "skins" of brickwork. you should have bought a lintel that was as wide as the wall (225mm?)
you do relise that a lintel showing above a door will look unsightly??
maybe a catnic would be better, check out the website.
dont forget to temp prop the wall and allow sufficiant bearing!
good luck

I am going to be replacing a window with wider french doors, I have got permission from building control and bought the doors and a concrete lintel. The wall is a non cavity brick wall basically it is 2 rows of bricks next to each other, the lintel is the width of a single brick.

My question is this: Do I fit 1 lintel into the external side of the wall or do I need to fit 2 lintels 1 on the exterior side and 1 on the interior side or is there a special lintel that you should get for non cavity walls?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back