Concrete Lintel Size, doorway solid brick wall house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just looking for some advice

I have a 1920's house no cavity solid brick wall, a few years ago a UPVC door has been fitted and I'm guessing that a timber lintel was in place previously.

During the new door fit they seem to have fitted a concrete lintel, which is two small for the gap, on one end it's hanging over by no more than 1 cm over the existing brickwork and the other end is similar but the end has slipped as the brick has cracked following a crack up the wall.

I've done a few lintels before so happy enough to tackle and will put one or two strong boys in before I remove the old lintel.

Question is for a normal two storey house, 9 inch brick wall, standard size back door what height and width should the lintel be and how far should it stick over the edge.

My gut tells me to go for 2* (70*100) single lintels and put is 1/2 brick over at each end.

Would it be better using a single wider 70*200 lintel, althought I think due to the age two singles may be easier to get into place.

How does that seem,

thanks

Sponsored Links
2 separate lintels, one for each skin will be fine. Minimum 100mm end bearings either end - although you'll have to get a couple of 1200mm for most external door widths so no point cutting them down.

Ive got a similar problem though my span is 1800mm. Dont know if the span is a bit too long for concrete. I cant seem to find catnics of that size either

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back