Concrete Lintel Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just some advice please

my house is a simple construction, 1920 will solid brick walls, the main downstairs is two rooms one 4.2 metres wide and the other 2.8 metres wide. Where the two rooms meet there is a sinle skin brick wall which is a load bearing wall in so much that the two sets of joists sit on this wall and also this takes the weight of the two upstairs partition block walls that are offset into the rooms slightly.

in this single skin brick wall there is a single doorway midway with a single concrete lintel over it, so on top of the lintel sits the joists probably three of the them from both directions so six in total, so it takes some of the weight of the partition walls upstairs also.

my question is I am currently sistering some of the joists in the main room and noticed that the current concrete lintel 110 wide by 140 high by 1100 long does not really have sufficent bearing onto the surrounding brickwork (90mm on one side) when you look at the condition of the end bricks so I want to replace the concrete lintel with something that sits at least 30cm onto each side of the single skin retaining wall as I have the chance to do it now with little effort.

I was going to go for a straight swap 100 wide by 140 high by 1500 long concrete lintel, it would have four courses of brick on top of it.

I was planning to use class B engineering bricks on top of it - four courses to tie back in with the wall? is this fine I wanted to make it as strong as possible or would something else be better?

I reckon this lintel would be 50kg or similar, but given the loading from the floors upstairs and the retaining walls with some impinging on the lintel would I be better with a 215mm high concrete lintel(about 75kg) and three courses of bricks on top rather than the four?

I was thinking RSJ but then thought it would be better bonded to use a concrete lintel that a steel in terms of fixation as this is a single skin wall.

Any views suggestions? Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Well it's had 90 years to fall down - so I'd leave it if I were you.

I should have added the important bit, an electrican that I had in, has chased and chiseled through the end of the lintel and the bricks under it so the small area that it was resting on now looks unstable.

Sorry I left that bit out as I didnt want to get into a conversation on if what he had done was correct.

Any advice very gratefully received trying to get the lintel this PM and get it in quick, then leave the seven days for the bricks above to set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back