What Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a lintel for a new door opening. The opening is only 800mm wide. Its a cavity wall with internal and external brick (no block-work) with 50mm cavity. The drawing says use a Keystone S/L-50 lintel. When I have had a look those lintels are suitable for external brick and internal block-work, but I have brick both sides. Should I be concerned, is a different lintel more suitable for brick internal and external?

Sponsored Links
Blockwork inner is most common construction so that's probably why it's specced on the lintel info.

Once a wall is built, bricks and blocks largely do the same job so it makes no odds either way.

Thanks I will use one then, wasn't sure if the weight of bricks vs blocks could be a factor.

A decent brick inner skin will more likely be better equipped at 'self arching' than a block equivalent.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nose, Im not sure what "self arching means" but if but if its nothing for me to worry about then who cares. Whilst im on the subject I plan to put this lintel in myself. my plan is this:

I have 800mm doorwar to put in, its a cavity wall brick inner and out.

Stick a strong boy in 1 or 2 brick up from the opening making sure it passes acrss both bricks and cavity.

Remove brickwork (rectangle) and fix lintel in place, on a bed of sand and cement. Lintel to extend 150mm each side of openeing.

Brick back up and leave to go off overnight.

Then cut out opening below and fix cavity closer.

Remove strong boy and Run........ :eek:

is that about right. I was only ging to use 1 strong boy as the gaps not massive or should I use 2???

We rarely use props for such a small opening. If there is a point load above, i.e. a loaded joist or steel beam then we prop that.

Nothing above just more wall. Thanks though that's very helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back