Steel lintel under existing concrete lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quick question please just want to make sure there isn't an issue with this or maybe there is a much simpler solution than putting a steel lintel under the current concrete lintel

Garage conversation so removing the garage door and replacing with a back door and window. Currently above the garage door is a small window (see attached photo) which runs across the span of the garage. Above the window sits the concrete lintel.

When I put in the new window and door I don't want there to be a window above the door or window, I want bricks to meet the new window and door. I was thinking to overcome this by putting in a steel lintel to sit on the inner and outer wall and then build 2 courses of bricks to meet the concrete lintel above and the new door and window below. Does this seem like a reasonable approach or is there a much simpler solution without getting custom built windows or raising the bottom threshold of the door.

Picture attached so hopefully that makes sense

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 73A2BEBE-A5FF-493B-8CE9-087CFDA8FE89.jpeg
    73A2BEBE-A5FF-493B-8CE9-087CFDA8FE89.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
The only issue I see is that it looks like a single skin wall, so a lintel would be visible from outside. What's above it on the outside?

It is a double skin wall (if that's the right term) so the outer walls have a cavity.

Attached are photos of the outside but not the best quality (ignore the highlighted blue circle) so ill have to take some when I get there later today

There is nothing above the outside wall. The concrete lintel only sits on the inside leaf

Attachments

• 7973C1AF-53A2-4088-9A50-3CE34218B7BC_1_201_a.jpeg
    7973C1AF-53A2-4088-9A50-3CE34218B7BC_1_201_a.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 53
  • F65EDF1D-3066-464F-B510-5BBCC127878F_1_201_a.jpeg
    F65EDF1D-3066-464F-B510-5BBCC127878F_1_201_a.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 60
I don't quite understand. The existing concrete lintel has demonstrated its ability to perform its job, so why are you looking to supplement it with another lintel underneath?

Sponsored Links
I don't quite understand. The existing concrete lintel has demonstrated its ability to perform its job, so why are you looking to supplement it with another lintel underneath?
If I read it right, it's purely just to remove the window frame above the garage door and replace with a few courses of bricks.

Seeing the external photos, it seems a reasonable solution.

Oh, I thought the new door and window set was going full height

The lintel is just to hold up 2 courses of bricks as the new door and window will not be going as high as where the existing window is. I plan to remove the existing window completely and have that area filled with bricks instead so that the new door and window meets the new brick

Hopefully that makes sense

Given that it's render above you could build a timber frame (insulated), clad with cement board and rendered to match existing. It would probably look better than mismatched bricks and/or brickwork where the adjacent houses don't have any.

The only issue I see is that it looks like a single skin wall, so a lintel would be visible from outside. What's above it on the outside?
Better photos attached

Attachments

• DAFFD15F-C2C0-430B-B683-7F828DB76AF4.jpeg
    DAFFD15F-C2C0-430B-B683-7F828DB76AF4.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 32
  • C175C627-97B6-4392-B383-17AB402E9BC2.jpeg
    C175C627-97B6-4392-B383-17AB402E9BC2.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 42
Given that it's render above you could build a timber frame (insulated), clad with cement board and rendered to match existing. It would probably look better than mismatched bricks and/or brickwork where the adjacent houses don't have any.
This is a very good option actually. I hadn’t thought of something like this

I presume the new window wouldn't be full width - which would mean you will have cavity masonry either side of a, say, 1500 or 1800 wide window. That being the case I would just use a standard lintel over the window.

I presume the new window wouldn't be full width - which would mean you will have cavity masonry either side of a, say, 1500 or 1800 wide window. That being the case I would just use a standard lintel over the window.
No the new window won't be full width, likely going to be 1190mm wide and new door frame will be 910mm wide. Both will span the current garage door gap of 2300mm. I was planning on using a cavity lintel (top hat) to span the entire length

So will there be a column somewhere?

Were it my choice I would be all for as much light as possible!

So will there be a column somewhere?

Were it my choice I would be all for as much light as possible!
Yes indeed there will be about 1 brick and a half’s length (my quick maths is probably wrong)

I did think about that also letting in as much light as possible but keep getting different views from others. Still a little more time to think it through and change my mind

If the garage opening is 2300 wide, by my rough calculation a 940 door and a 900 window would leave you a brick pier each side. Plenty for the mall load over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back