Lintel in Single-storey Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a couple of lintel questions...

I am opening up a hole in my garage wall to install French doors. The opening for the doors will be 1200mm so I am intending to install a 1500mm lintel. It's a single story attached garage so the roof is quite low - there is only one course of bricks above where the lintel will go before the roof joists.

Hopefully the attached pic explains better...

So my questions are: -

1. Is a steel-reinforced concrete lintel sufficient (70 x 100 x 1500mm) or do I need to worry about point loads with there only being a single course of bricks above?

2. Are steel props with strong boy type attachments the way to go, or can I get away with just propping the ceiling joists on the inside?

All advice/comments welcome...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Is a steel-reinforced concrete lintel sufficient (70 x 100 x 1500mm)
Yes it should be fine unless your roof is something out of the ordinary.

2. Are steel props with strong boy type attachments the way to go, or can I get away with just propping the ceiling joists on the inside?
I personally would just use the acros with a scaffold board on top supporting the required joists/rafters. For 1 course of brick I wouldn't bother with strongboys which you'll have to end up re-bedding on top of the lintel anyhows. :D

Cheers hotrod, I installed it today after propping up the joists - no problems.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
oh come on, you can't say that and not give us some "after" pictures.. :)
I'll take some when I have a minute (and some new batteries for my camera).

Somebody else mentioned to me (typical, after its done) that the lintel should really be more than 70mm high as there is only one course of bricks above. However surely the 70mm one is better than a double-height one that has the wall plate sitting directly on it? I can't really go any lower, as the top of the wall is already quite low so I'd be stooping to go through the door.

Do you think BC are going to have any issues with what I've done?

Cheers.

Do you think BC are going to have any issues with what I've done?
There are issues regards single course concrete lintels and the fact that their strength is reliant upon the self-arching assistance from a body of masonry above.

The worst that can happen is you will need to replace the lintel. This can be done retrospectively so i would say suck it and see. The roof ain't gonna collapse.

There are issues regards single course concrete lintels and the fact that their strength is reliant upon the self-arching assistance from a body of masonry above.
Cheers, wouldn't a double course concrete lintel have the same issue though, especially as it wouldn't have any bricks at all above it? Or is it just an issue with single-course lintels?

The worst that can happen is you will need to replace the lintel. This can be done retrospectively so i would say suck it and see. The roof ain't gonna collapse.
Thanks - I'll stop stressing (no pun intended) then. I think I'll carry on and get the doors installed. My worry was that BC would force me to lower the lintel and I'd have to replace the doors.

Out of curiosity, in the worst-case scenario, what would I replace the lintel with, a double-course concrete one, or a steel one maybe (bearing in mind its a stud-wall inside).

Thanks.

Worst case is they ask for a 140dp lintel with no brickwork over or catnic box lintel.. but i highly doubt they will..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back