Lintel above garage door (Single skin)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've got a garage that I'm building this summer (build thread here) and I'm ready to finish off over the garage door. I'll be doing this myself, as the bricklayer can't complete it (long story!)

It currently looks like this, with a final few bricks to add:

image.jpg
front.jpg

A few questions:
  1. There's room for a single course of bricks above the garage door (with a lintel), but do I need one? There's a flat roof going on - the joists will run left to right - but nothing will need to be supported. Do I need bricks above the door opening for structural reasons, to tie the pillars together?

2. If I do need bricks above the door, what is the right type for a single skin? A concrete lintel will see me cutting down lots of bricks. Would I use a steel L shaped one?

Many thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need a lintel for structural reasons, but surely you'll need something to fill the gap above the door? Easiest would probably be a steel angle with blocks on top. Although the walls/piers at either side of the door look to be 200mm I'd just put a single 100mm skin above.

You wouldn't need a lintel for structural reasons, but surely you'll need something to fill the gap above the door? Easiest would probably be a steel angle with blocks on top. Although the walls/piers at either side of the door look to be 200mm I'd just put a single 100mm skin above.

Thanks very much for the reply (y)

I thought that might be the case, but I've never done this before so definitely worth checking with those who have. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back