Double Garage Lintel Spec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of having the double garage converted from having two single doors with a brick pillar in the middle, to having a single double door. Currently above the single garage doors there are two steel lintels.

What I am trying to find out is what spec the lintel should be... meaning what load the lintel should be able to bear. The garage construction is brick single skin wall with a pitched tiled roof.

:?: Does anyone have any ideas? :?:

Sponsored Links
I knew i had missed some information! :D

Wall to wall it is about 17 feet across. The door opening will be just over 15 feet.

so, you will end up with a 4.6m clear span?

i think you are delving into rsj span capacity here.

i am not aware of any proprietary pressed steel lintels that will span this.

you may need a lump/s of steel over 200mm deep.

Sponsored Links
by the way, if your garage is 17' and the opening 15' then the returns can be no more than 1' each end externally.

how thick are your garage walls?

Yes it will need to be an RSJ. I have been told that an RSJ with a load capacity of 23kg per metre or above would be sufficient.

The garage walls are single skin brick.

The returns are actually a little less than 1' either side (If by return you mean the measurement from where the lintel ends to the external wall). Will try to take a measurement today and post up along with some pictures if that helps. Currently there are two catnic lintels in place that rest on the brick pillars either side of the garage door. There is only enough space for the lintel to occupy a few inches on top of the pillar (about half a brick).

I would think the load capacity required would be a tad greater than 23kg/m ;) ; presume what someone actually told you was the beam weight per metre ie 203x102UB23. What's sat over the opening - roof spanning about 6m, or so?

Yes it is the roof over the opening and will be about 6metres.

The garage is detached from the rest of the house.

Any suggestions?

203x133UB25; if you've got a brick detail over the opening, put a 6mm thick plate welded to the bottom flange underside, stopping 25 back from face of brickwork, with 6mm stiffener plates at nom 450 centres, starting 150mm in from each end; engineering brick padstone, min 150mm bearing of beam onto this. Put the beam directly under the existing wallplate, have the top flange pre-drilled with 12mm dia holes at nom 600mm staggered centres, coachscrew M10 once beam installed.

Sorted :LOL:.

In case anyone searches and finds this thread...

Just had this done - replaced a 5.1m 100x200mm wood beam, central pier/pillar and two single up and over doors with an RSJ and full width roller shutter door. RSJ spec was calculated by an SE as needing to be 203x203x60 sitting on padstones. Might be over-specified but should hold the roof up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back