Installing window into single skin garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a newbuild (2010) house, with a detached garage (in a block of garages). We have a door into our garage as it backs onto our garden.

I'm planing on converting the half the garage to use as an office, the plan is to install insulated plasterboard, nothing posh, just somewhere to sit and do my work.

I've replaced the rear garage door with a glass upvc one and I've started to install a new window on the same wall. The garage is brick single skin with piers (which I'm hoping are tied to the single skin), the wall with the door (and new window) takes the wall plate. That wall consists of a pier, the door opening (with steel lintel above), another pier, 950mm of single skin, then another pier (then into next doors). The window is going into that single skin area.

I installed the window last weekend, the plan was to simply remove a row of bricks (929 wide for the concrete lintel), then cut vertically down for the 600 wide window, and knock the brickwork out (carefully I may add). There is only 2 courses of bricks above the lintel.

But I've ran into some issues, firstly I couldn't get full depth with the cutter, so had to knock out the bricks, which worked ok but the ones in the top corner shattered (hollow bricks). Frustratingly these are the ones which sit below the lintel. a stack of 3 half bricks will look awful, so I'm guessing I need to take some of the bricks out?

I rather foolishly didn't put a level on the wall before I began, but did last week and it seems there is a bow in the wall (between the door and the window - although it's apparent further along across neighbours garages too). I'm not sure if that was there before or not, the joint work internally looks ok, and it doesn't look like the wall plate has moved. But the wall is out of plumb by about half an inch (outwards) up to 5 ft high, then slopes back inwards - it may well have been built like that, my concern is that I've somehow disturbed it, although that seems unlikely as everything else is fine, and it extends across the other garages too (although is less pronounced).. That all said, I've noticed externally that one of the bricks in the pillar the joint is cracked all the way around it, but that may have been like that, or knocked loose from the vibration when I removed the adjoining brick.

The whole thing was giving me sleepless nights, so being overly cautious, I figured rather than studding between the piers (to give me a flat surface to install the insulated PB) I'd add some strength and do it in block work (tied to the single skin with L brackets), it will also act to stop some moisture ingress (through the single skin - it's the only external wall).. Which I've done, but as I got near the top I've noticed the internal middle pier is loose about 4 courses from the top (I can actually lift it off!), so I'm still concerned about it... I'm wondering if this middle pier is purely for asthetics and there to take the door jams (it's built up separately but I'd assumed it was tied back to the wall), does anyone know if that's likely to be the case, or perhaps they only tied it up to four course down??

Any advice anyone could offer would be great... I suspect I'm worrying unnecessarily, but

In hindsight, I wish I'd simply raked out the joint, and inserted a leaf lintel from behind, then removed bricks underneath one by one at the joints.

Sponsored Links
Too many words and not enough pictures to illustrate the problem.

How are you fitting the insulated plasterboard? you should be just dabbing it on to a single skin wall if you want it to stay up for long and be damp free.

Fair point. Will upload some pictures later... The gist is that my wall isn't straight, I'm slightly concerned that I've done something to it whilst installing the window.

Surely, that should read "NOT just dabbing it on to single skin"? That wasn't my intention on that wall, although I was going to on the other walls (with instastick foam) because they are not externally facing (although the side walls are also single skin, they only adjoin other garages). My intention on that wall was to stud between the piers, but now I've built it up with blockwork.

Sponsored Links
If the wall has been damaged it will be cracked (you will see it) and you will be able to rock it. If that is the case, the damaged section would normally need to be rebuilt.

There's the pics, the last ones show the level as straight.. as I say, could well have been like that before I started.

Thanks woody, that's reassuring, as nothing looks cracked. Although one of the bricks between the window and the door has hairline cracks all the way around the joints (as though it's separated from the mortar) - but that might just be disturbed when I knock the one next to it out. Presumably I can carefully rejoint that half a joint at a time?

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_101323.jpg
    IMG_20201121_101323.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_20201125_170604.jpg
    IMG_20201125_170604.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG_20201121_154830.jpg
    IMG_20201121_154830.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_20201130_093738.jpg
    IMG_20201130_093738.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 731
Put the level on the other side of the doorway, that looks out of plumb too and it may have been built like it. And then on the wall on the other side of the window, to check if that's the same.

Generally the wall is braced all the way across by the wallplate above. Another check of that central panel of bricks is to look at the top under the wallplate to see if there is any evidence of it moving outwards, or put a line or straight edge across the brickwork at various places to see if it out of line.

Thanks, done that, it is out of plumb the other side of the door (but less so), same with further along past the window (which extends across the three garages).

My thinking is that by building up behind the single skin section it will sure it up, but obviously won't do anything to anything which may have already happened. Suspect I'm worrying for no reason.

No gaps or cracks around wall plate.

Lintel is currently wedged in place (I needed to take it out to sort the broken bricks in the top left corner).

I've also attached a photo of the blockwork I've built up inside, a belt and braces measure to add mass to pier and single skin, and give me a flat surface to work off. It's tied to the wall and piers using stainless steel L brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_085744.jpg
    IMG_20201201_085744.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_20201201_085808.jpg
    IMG_20201201_085808.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 491

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back