Single skin garage wall lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on making two openings/doorways in the wall of my detached garage. They'll be internal openings (enclosed on both sides of the wall). The picture attached shows the plan.

Wall - Copy.JPG

The walls are single skin brick on 6" recinforced concrete. The suspended wooden ceiling is supported on joists, which in turn rest on the horizontal wood bolted to the wall just above the openings (painted white, hard to see, has a few nails sticking out of it to hang things on). The garage roof is pitched timber/felt and the joists are built into the wall (alternating with the suspended ceiling joists). You can see the left and right ends of the wall (workbench and roller door).

The openings will be with 1200mm and 1050mm lintels, each with 100mm bearings (biggest opening is 1000mm). There will be 4 courses of bricks above the lintels once finished.

I'm happy with the vertical loads from the roof and suspended ceiling and lintel selection, and the process of making the openings. I just had a thought about the brick pier though.

Am I ok with these two openings, with the brick pier between providing enough outward/inward support to the wall once I've made the openings, or do I need to add new piers where the yellow boxes are?

Any issues you can see with putting two openings so close together?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
i think piers would be helpful as if the doors are swung in anger the wall might shake some what. or if wind grabs hold of them.
you could tie the piers into the cheeks of the door openings. this would add a lot of strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back