PVC door in single skin garage wall (specific question)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Sorry to ask a question that has been asked many times before, but I've tried hard to find the answer i'm looking for and can't.

I want to install a PVC personnel door into my garage wall. It's a single skin brick wall, and there'll only be a couple of courses of brick above the door when done. I've bought an L profiled steel lintel, which I was planning to install by drilling out a course of mortar and sliding it in, bedded on mortar.

The first question I have is, does there need to be mortar on top of the lintel, between the lintel and the bricks above it?

The main question though, that I can't find the answer to, is, is it OK to fit a PVC frame to a single leaf brick wall? Some seem to say yes and some seem to say no. How do you even drill into bricks that are probably mostly hollow (I'm fairly sure mine are frogged) ?

Some people say to build a pier either side of the door, but I can't find instruction on how do to this. Do you build a block pier behind the existing brick and tie it in somehow? Or do you tooth out the bricks for the opening rather than cutting them, and rotate them 90 degrees and work back on yourself to build a pier? I know that the perps are probably not level, have attached a picture of roughly where I'm looking at putting it. I should add that the roof is a pyramid shape sloping on all sides (no gables). The joists in the picture don't go all the way across, they are attached to perpendicular joists with some sort of small cage on the end of them.

Thanks for your time everyone, all advice gratefully received

Attachments

• PHOTO-2024-01-12-09-28-25.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-01-12-09-28-25.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back