Moving a door in a single-skin brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single-skinned, single-story, flat-roofed brick garage where I would like to move the side door about 18 inches to one side (two bricks). The wall with the door is parallel to the roof joists.

My assumption is that the existing door would be removed, bricks cut/knocked out of one side then reinstated on the other, the lintel moved, then the door put back. I could be grossly over-simplifying the work involved.

I'm not that keen to do it myself, but I'm not sure who to talk to - do I need a bricklayer, a general builder, or someone else? How much should I reasonably be expecting to pay?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
a bricklayer or a general builder wouldn't find this very difficult

hard to give a price, depends on your location in the country mostly, ideally to make a good job the bricks would need toothing out or your going to need more bricks, this is time consuming as is cleaning the old bricks to reuse.

get 3 quotes and go with the guy you like best, not necessarily the cheapest

That is not a very big job TBH, and I suspect you may have difficulty in getting a number of quotes for the job, though I hope I'm wrong.

But have you seriously dismissed doing the job yourself? It would not be difficult, it's mostly labour.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back