Install UPVC door, single brick garage side access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please see the attached photos.

I'm looking to install a side access door to my single brick garage, but the side wall isn't very tall so the doors I have seen will take up the full height of the wall, I'm worried that doesn't seem right / might leave the area shaded yellow unstable?

I was planning on retaining a single row of bricks beneath the door frame, with the door frame going up flush to the top. The single brick isn't weight bearing as you'll see from the internal pick, there are double brick pillars which the roof joists rest on.

So my question is:
a) by placing a door where I've pictured, will that leave the remaining single brick (yellow shaded) unstable?
b) have I missed anything else?

I'm wondering if I just try and source a particularly short door so I can get a lintel installed and keep the single brick wall joined together.

Appreciate any guidance!

Will

Attachments

• garage-outside.jpg
    garage-outside.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 559
  • garage-inside.jpg
    garage-inside.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 509
Sponsored Links
Cut the door out abutting the existing pillar and build a pillar the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back