Installing a lintel in single brick garage wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie first post, so go gentle!

I would appreciate any comments/advice.

I am about to embark on the installation of a personnel door into the side wall of my detached garage and wanted to check my approach was sensible.

It’s a mid 90’s construction – single skin brick with brick columns each corner and half way along the side wall to support the pitched roof. Roof timbers run parallel to the wall in question and are supported on the end walls i.e. not the wall I want to make an opening in.

Proposed door position is approx. 80cm from the corner column on the side wall and will sit on the top of two rows of blue engineering bricks which correspond to the dpc level on house adjacent.

My plan is as follows:-

Remove a course of mortar on the inside face above proposed door level.
Install a steel L-shaped lintel, with overlap of 150cm each side of the proposed opening width. Bed on fresh mortar and attach to the inside face of bricks as well. The lintel is supporting about 10 rows of single brick masonry above it, so was going to get advice from a supplier on the appropriate sizing/loads. Is this feasible without propping/supporting the wall in any way?

Once lintel is fixed and set attach wooden battens to the outside wall to guide cutter and cut opening neatly below to the upvc door frame size.

Then install upvc door, with the frame width being sufficient to covering any cuts through bricks which expose holes in centres.

Am I on the right lines here?

Sponsored Links
Spot on.
If the brickwork is in good nick and you go easy removing the mortar joint it should stay up OK. At worse you will have a few bricks to replace.
The lintel will show, but its just in a garage.
I got a 5mm thick angle iron from a scrapyard for £5 that was just the ticket.
Scraps of slate can be used yo wedge the lintel on the bearings.
Depending on the door width and brick bond, the cut brick widths may not look perfect, but probably good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back