Garage conversion studwork advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of converting a new build single garage to a kitchen.
I have already bricked up the garage door and side door and created an opening for a window.

I am now starting the interior stud walls.

Is this plan ok?
Please advise if the vapor and membranes are correctly placed.
Before you ask, the BC officer said to place a course of brick under the sole plate, he also adviced to use 4x2 and have a cavity between 30 - 50mm

any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• fdstgswe.JPG
    fdstgswe.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Are you not required to meet the current building regs for insulation? or will there be an external door between the converted room and the house?

Sponsored Links
Why are you forming a cavity? If you do, it should be drained and vented.

I was thinking this. but building control said a cavity is required, didn't mention to put weeps or anything however

Shouldn't let an inspector design for you. Timber frame and an unwanted damp cavity = rot.

DPM up the wall, frame against the wall, no cavity, no problem, more room.

Well I'm working to building regs and if the bc inspector specified that I need a cavity - should I just ignore him and hope he doesn't look on his next visit

You really want 100mm pir in wall an 50 over don't scrimp on the insulation you'll regret it

Well I'm working to building regs and if the bc inspector specified that I need a cavity - should I just ignore him and hope he doesn't look on his next visit
The method in my post meets building regs.

Inspectors inspect, they don't design. They have no responsibility when you have to deal with the repairs and problems a few years down the line.

The way it works is you define how you will build, and the inspector inspects it. Otherwise you end up with a second class job, worse than it needed to be, but great it passes building regs.

can I add a dpm up the wall and still have a cavity? how would the dpm be fixed to the wall or do you mean fixed to the timbers studwall?

my original plan didn't have a cavity but on the inspection after doing my brickwork he said a cavity IS required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back