Garage Conversion

S

sdcuk

Hello – I’m thinking of converting part of my garage into a home office and would like to understand what’s involved before I take the plunge. I’ve spent hours searching on the internet but still welcome some feedback as I am still not clear on lots of things! My plan would be to partition the garage, leaving the original garage door into a small space for tools/bikes/lawnmower etc, with the rest a home office space.

My garage is not linked to my house, but is linked with the far wall to my neighbour’s garage via a block wall. The other two walls are single skin brick and then there is the garage door. The floor is 1 brick height below the visible DPC in the outer wall bricks. DPC is approx 2 bricks above the patio height. The roof is a pitch roof.
Can I use stud walls throughout?
If so, what thickness and insulation is required in the partition stud wall?
From what I have seen from browsing I can do the following (please correct me if I am wrong!):
Damp proof membrane to existing floor – would I need to connect/join this to the DPC in the bricks?
Stud walls next to outer walls with a 50mm minimum cavity gap. Non-porous insulation inside the stud (any recommendations?), then a vapour barrier, then 12.5mm plasterboard. Can I attach the sole plate straight to the existing concrete slab, or should there be a brick layer underneath (I noticed a 285mm recommendation)? Does it matter that I go through (nails/screws) the new DPM when this is attached?
Stud walls next to neighbor wall with 15mm minimum cavity gap.

Does the cavity have to covered at the ceiling point or do you let the gap continue into the roof area above the ceiling? Likewise with the partition – should the conversion effectively be a free standing ‘room’ inside the garage with gaps all the way around or should the partition go brick-to-brick across the garage?
Do you need to use a vapour barrier on the ceiling?

I have a door into my garage from the garden that will be the office access point. Once the stud wall is built around this, I picture the plasterboard attached to the side of the stud wall effectively touching the single skin brick over its 12.5mm thickness – are you supposed to put some kind of damp protection here?

Apologies for so many questions but any advice much appreciated!
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does the cavity have to covered at the ceiling point or do you let the gap continue into the roof area above the ceiling? Likewise with the partition – should the conversion effectively be a free standing ‘room’ inside the garage with gaps all the way around or should the partition go brick-to-brick across the garage?
Does anyone have a view on these points as they are the same questions I am also wondering about in my conversion.

Thanks

Your question is rather extensive and there are a billion posts regards garage con's that you could search.

Basically the structure will need to meet certain thermal criteria in the floor walls and roof.

It is not uncommon for walls beneath a flat roof to continue through the ceiling void and meet the roof deck with the cavity insulation following suit.

Any partitions within the garage will need to have adequate insulation both between the studs and across them usually celotex or kingspan, i.e. foam board insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back