Straight-through brick garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me with this question please?

... I've got a detached single garage with a shallow mono-pitched/almost flat roof. The garage is single-skin brickwork with piers at each end and in the middle which are 1 brick's length square in section. the back wall has a timber door and casement window in it so there isn't much structure at the back.

What I'm wondering is if I can remove the door and window in the back wall of the garage, as well as the brickwork below the existing window and, as such, turn the garage in to a straight-through type garage?

Can anyone help with this? I don't know whether you're allowed to have a garage which is, basically, 2 straight brick walls with a roof on top and full opening s at each end. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
The single-skin brickwork below the rear window will be imparting some stiffness to the side wall. This is important because the main consideration in single-skin structures is usually lateral loading due to wind.
You would effectively end up with 2 very slender brick walls, probably around 7ft high; the frames front and rear would contribute little to stiffness.
When designing free-standing brick boundary walls, it is not generally recommended to go higher than about 6ft, even with 225 thick walls, because of wind-loading considerations.
Your resulting structure would be worse than this because of the additional height and slenderness of the walls.
Although the alteration would probably not require notification to the Council, the end-product would not comply with the recommendations given in the Building Regulations guidance on single-skin structures.
Have a look on the planning portal for Approved Document A. This deals with structures and has some good, easy-to-follow diagrams, and which incidentally might make you think again about this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back