Brickwork opening and lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a rear exension built. the old kitchen door and side window have been removed to leave a 1.5 metre opening into the exension. Walls are standard english brick (9" blockwall). Above the opening is a single brick arch and behind this is the old wooden lintel.

Can I leave this as is, or now that the door frame is removed do I need to replace the wooden lintel and nock out the brick arch to replace with concrete/steel lintel

Thanx all

Sponsored Links
moe100 said:
Hi all,

do I need to replace the wooden lintel and nock out the brick arch to replace with concrete/steel lintel

this would probably be the best course of action, and replace using a steel lintel.

Thought as much. was kinda hoping otherwise. Do I need achros and strongboys or can I nock out the arch and put one side of the steel in. Then take out the old lintel and put the steel in the otherside

Sponsored Links
moe100 said:
Do I need achros and strongboys or can I nock out the arch and put one side of the steel in. Then take out the old lintel and put the steel in the otherside

i couldn't really comment on this as i don't know the joist layout, how the wall is tied in, wether there are any headers etc.

a site visit is about the only way to see the job properly i'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back