Cost for new soundproof ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm developing 2 flats and need to put a new soundproof false ceiling in place. The area is 50m2 and the finish as follows

100 x 50 softwood ceiling joists/hangers/runners to restrict maximum span to 1900mm; quilt sound insulation; resilient bars, 2 layers of 12.5mm 'soundbloc' plasterboard and 3mm plaster skim finish

What do people feel is a realistic cost for the work - i'm in Yorkshire so no London prices please :)

tia,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Around the £2k - £2.5k mark depending upon how the ceilings are fragmented.

Only a rough guess.

Better off soundproofing the floor of the top flat.

To pass the sound test you'll probably need to do both the ceiling 'below' and the floor 'above'. We split a 3-floor house into 3 separate flats and needed to do that to both intermediate floors and it only just passed the test!

Ceiling as you described and floor above was dense sound spec (cement added?) thicker T&G chipboard floating floor with a rubber underside to insulate it from the joists. We left the original T&G floorbords in place as they were in good condition and every little bit helps where sound is concerned.

Also all holes and gaps were sealed especially around the edge with 'acoustic' mastic. Skirtings were isolated from the floor woth foam strip. Stud walls were built on top of the new flooring and below the new ceiling.

Chimneys can also cause problems and rather than filling it with concrete and bricking up we removed the chimney and breasts from top to bottom as this also improved room sizes. We didn't think fireplaces were important to our intended use as holiday lets.

To do both floors, both sides, was about £11k, in Cornwall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the information - is the sound test a nationwide test or do required results vary from council to council ?

My sound consultant advised us on that solution so i've got to believe he knows what is required here ?

What are the implications of failing the test ? - is it game over until the test is passed ?

I didn't think sound tests were required when working in existing buildings. Your BCO will confirm.

I think we are getting stung because i'm changing the property from commercial to residential ie creating 2 flats in a commercial shell.

It's Building Regulations 'Part E' requirement, ie it's law.

The sound test is required to prove that the sound insulation between two 'new' dwellings meets the building regs. May be different in Scotland and NI.

You are creating two new dwellings hence the need for sound insulation and you will need a test to prove it works before the Inspector will sign it off. If you haven't got sign off when you come to sell you will have big problems!

It's Building Regulations 'Part E' requirement, ie it's law.

The sound test is required to prove that the sound insulation between two 'new' dwellings meets the building regs. May be different in Scotland and NI.

You are creating two new dwellings hence the need for sound insulation and you will need a test to prove it works before the Inspector will sign it off. If you haven't got sign off when you come to sell you will have big problems!
When its a conversion? I'm not so sure.

I think it applies. Perhaps the OP should have a read of Part E.

I think it applies. Perhaps the OP should have a read of Part E.
I think you are right, they do require testing, I did a conversion a couple of years back that did not need testing but having just looked it up that one had a special exception.

Thanks Guys - would a fail prevent me from letting them out ?

A fail would prevent you getting your Building Regs Certificate which would ultimately prevent you. But if they fail then just you address the failures and retest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back