Soundproofing Party Wall - Weight Worries??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice please on soundproofing a party wall in our semi detached house. Wall is cavity type, one brick thick. The floor joists 5x2" at 400 centres are resting on sole plate on top of double bricks laid half width on their side into our leaf of party wall. The room is 4.5x2.4m and the combined components of the wall (stud, insulation, sound tec & 2x plasterboard) will weigh I reckon @ 400kg plus
20230124_085108.jpg
. I appreciate this shall be spread evenly over 4.5m and the wall will be 25mm off party wall - directly over supported joist ends i.e over the bricks. Should this be OK structurally ? My main concern is the bricks although doubled up, are in shear used this way? Photos attached of joist detail. Any tips / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
It's got to be heavy to work, but why is the person doing it not isolating it from the wall? Having it rest on the party wall provides a path for the sound to bypass the soundproof part of the wall.

Hi thanks for your reply, the stud wall will be 25mm off the party wall and shall not be attached to it in any way... it shall only be tied into floor, ceiling and two walls either side.

Plan is to have 25mm rockwool between wall and studwork, 50mm rockwool between studs, two layers of plasterboard with soun tec sy70 sandwiched between the pb.

Sponsored Links
Shall not be attached to the wall in any way, but it's attached to the floor and ceiling which are in turn attached to the party wall.
I would have thought taking it down to the over site concrete/hardcore would be better if you can.
I've not done it myself though, just a thought. Impact noise on floors can travel really well around soundproofing if it's attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back